It’s week 20 of Cassie’s Challenges and the challenge is to meal prep for at least one meal this week! Read on for simple meal prep tips to help you stay on track and save money!
Well I can safely say that mindful eating does not come naturally to me! But for the past seven days I have been trying very hard to practice mindful eating during every meal! The no distractions part was quite easy for me to achieve. I was more than happy to eat away from my phone, computer and the TV. But when it came to speed, I really had to stop myself from hoeing into my delicious food at every point! Let’s just say I think I’ll be working on this challenge for a while! Who else had a go at mindful eating last week? How did you find it? I hope you mastered it more naturally than I did!
Now for this week’s challenge…
Week 20 – Meal prep for at least one meal or snack this week
You may have seen my latest meal prep interview series last week, where some wonderful women from the health and fitness industry shared their tips for how they incorporate meal prep into their busy lives to help stay on track.
When it comes to meal prepping, I must say I’ve always been more of a wing it kind of person. But this can have its downside. You can pretty easily persuade me to ditch my idea for lunch or dinner in favour of a less than healthy option! And I’ve also been known to waste food because I’ve forgotten a bunch of vegetables in the back of the crisper (this always really bugs me!).
On the week’s where I’ve had more structure, I’ve had much more success in not only sticking to my healthy diet but making sure I use the food I have! So, this week I’m going to try and meal prep as much as I can and see how much of a difference it makes!
Now I know we are all used to seeing meal preppers who batch cook 30 meals at once and post them all over Instagram BUT rest assured – meal prep doesn’t have to be that complicated! It can be as simple as repurposing leftovers for a meal or two the next day. Here are some simple tips on how to keep your sanity and meal prep!
Meal Prep Tips:
- Prepare a big batch of quiches or muffins to grab for breakfast on the go
- Mix up a few portions of overnight oats for a quick breakfast option
- Make up smoothie packs in the freezer
- Prepare dinners that will yield leftovers, and portion these out for lunches.
- Cut up fruit and vegetables and store in containers in the fridge for easy snacks or to help throw together a meal.
- Portion out nuts into small containers for snacks
- Boil a batch of eggs and store in the fridge for up to a week
- Make up a batch of energy bites for the week and portion out for snacks – try my no bake chocolate fudge energy bites or no apricot coconut energy bites.
- Roast a big batch of veggies to use in meals for the rest of the week – simply heat and add some protein.
- Soups are simple and a great way to boost your veggies – try my roasted pumpkin soup or cannellini bean soup. These are our household favourites!
- If you get bored easily with meals, why not team up with a friend or family member and prepare two meals each, then swap a few portions for some variety!
As you can see, meal prep certainly does not need to be tedious or a chore! You can easily prepare snacks and a meal or two within an hour that can help you when you are in a pinch later in the week!
As always, I’ll be tracking my progress for the week over on Instagram if you want to follow along! I also love seeing what you guys a cooking up! Don’t forget to tag me in your pictures under the hashtag #beforeverhealthier.
Also, if you’d like to see some of the previous challenges, I’ve listed them below for quick reference! Don’t forget that you can participate in a challenge at any time! So, if you’ve missed any previous challenges, feel free to jump on board whenever you get the chance!
ARE MY CHALLENGER’S READY?
GOOD LUCK AND GET PREPPING!