Kale doesn’t have to be boring and tasteless! This crunchy kale salad with lemon tamari dressing is delicious and healthy – that’s a thing! So what are you waiting for?
I am currently falling asleep at my desk whilst writing up this post BUT we’ve finally finished moving house! Despite the fact that I have been a walking zombie for days it feels good to have a working kitchen again. Seriously – I just want to cook all the things right now! My first dish in the new kitchen was a huge pot of cannellini bean soup for lunch – very me. And I’ll be going back shortly to whip up a batch of no bake chocolate fudge energy bites! Of all my recipes, they would be the two that get the most workout!
That, and this delicious crunchy Asian salad with lemon tamari dressing. This was one of the very last recipes I photographed in the old house, but I’ve been making it regularly for the past few months. The recipe came together while I was trying to build a love for kale, which up until that point I’d never cooked with. And now that I’ve made this salad about 2500000 times (read: 15) I have some super fun kale knowledge to impart to you.
- Remove the stems – just pull them off with your hands
- Tear into bite sized pieces – you can chop but I mostly just use my hands to tear the leaves into small pieces
- Season with salt – move the kale to a bowl and season with a little salt
- Massage – when I first read about massaging kale my exact thoughts were WTF (and no, not why the face – the other one). But as it turns out, it makes a huge difference! Just grab handfuls of kale and scrunch together, then release and grab another handful. Do this for about 30 seconds and your kale will taste so much better as it turns from rough to silky! Don’t believe me – read this.
Mix this well prepared kale with the rest of the salad items and the delicious lemon tamari dressing and you will be surprised at just how tasty kale can be. And if you are looking for other things to put kale in, may I be so bold as to push you towards this berry green smoothie. Yes, it has kale in it. No, it doesn’t taste like lawn clippings. Happy days!
Now I must go and sleep for about 3 days (after making energy bites – ironic) … Bye!
- 2 cups kale no stems and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage finely chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum / red bell pepper diced
- 1 green onion / scallion sliced
- Handful yes that’s a measurement chang’s fried noodles / ramen noodles
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Prepare all items for the salad by washing and cutting. Be sure to prepare kale as per kale tips above!
Make salad dressing by mixing together in a small bowl and stirring vigorously until combined
Drizzle dressing over salad and mix together until covering all salad ingredients
Serve and enjoy!
- Adapted from Fit Foodie Finds
- The dressing may yield more than 2 serves, so just drizzle over desired amount!