A cannellini bean soup filled to the brim with vegetables – healthy, delicious and comes together in flash. Perfect way to use up any veggies about to turn in the crisper.
This cannellini bean soup is a much loved recipe in our family. It’s our default dinner whenever we have a bunch of random vegetables that need to be used up or after an overly indulgent weekend when our bodies are singing out for anything with nutrients.
It’s been sitting at the very back of the blog archives since January 2017 and was one of the very first recipes I published. The photos didn’t do it justice, and it deserves it’s day in the sun. So I’m bringing it back today.
Feel free to make it your own by adding whatever vegetables you have on hand. I have a feeling this recipe will find it’s way into your families favourites as it has ours.
Love soups as much as we do? Make sure you grab a copy of our free Simple Soups recipe cookbook!
Now let’s dig in…
Cannellini Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 400g can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 400g can diced tomatoes
- 500 ml chicken or vegetable stock use more if you prefer a thinner soup
- ½ head green/savoy cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ cauliflower cubed
- 3 medium carrots thinly sliced
- 4 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Italian herbs to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring for 3 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add garlic, cauliflower and cabbage and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock, diced tomatoes, cannellini beans and season with italian herbs, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring to boil and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked.
- Serve as is or with some crusty bread. Enjoy!