These Carrot and Zucchini Fritters are quick and easy to make and only use 7 ingredients! They are also Paleo, Whole30 and Gluten-Free. Whip up a batch on the weekend and reheat during the week for a quick breakfast.
What’s your favourite recipe from your childhood? Mine would be corned beef fritters. Which is actually pretty weird when I think about it because I hate corned beef. But there was something about these fritters. They were oily and salty (like all the best foods). They were good hot or cold. And I ALWAYS had to go back for seconds when they were on offer. These days I would probably eat them once a year, if my dad is so kind to whip up a batch. But I still cherish that taste. The taste of my childhood!
I was talking to my dad recently about the meals we used to make and how, like these fritters, they were all unhealthy! Sure there were vegetables and salads, but most of the meals on heavy rotation weren’t so great. Our household believe margarine was better than butter for a long time *shudder*. We also bought low fat everything (a.k.a sugar city). And I don’t even want to admit how many frozen foods we ate.
It’s really no wonder I had absolutely no idea how to properly feed myself when I grew up. I thought healthy food was gross, mostly because I thought you had to eat boring garden salads or plain vegetables. I also believed that fad diets were the way to go – a few week’s of starvation here and then and I could go back to filling my body with crap. I’m sure I’m not alone there!
Over the years I’ve slowly discovered what healthy means to me. Minimal processed foods. All the plants. Treats when I damn well want. It works for me, and I feel all the better for it. I’m able to maintain my weight, I don’t have cravings and I enjoy what I eat without any guilt.
Food like my favourite healthy chicken tacos. Taco Tuesday everyday am I right? And then there are these carrot and zucchini fritters. They may be a far cry from my old favourites, but they are seriously delicious. The perfect example of how healthy food can be simple and easy to prepare, and actually taste amazing.
They are perfect for meal prep, and even though I’ve deemed them breakfast food you could go right ahead and enjoy them any old time of day. You want to take them to work for lunch with a side salad? Go for it! Fritters as good as these shouldn’t be confined to one meal!
I know that these fritters will become a favourite in your home, just like they are in mine! Enjoy!
Carrot and Zucchini Fritters
- 2 Carrot shredded
- 2 Zucchini shredded
- 1 Brown Onion diced
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Place shredded carrot & zucchini into a colander in the sink and sprinkle with salt. Let rest of 10 minutes, then use your hands to squeeze out as much excess water as possible.
- Place the shredded carrot, zucchini, onion, garlic powder, almond flour and eggs in a bowl and mix with your hands until well combined.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Add approximately a tbsp of mixture into pan at a time and flatten with the back of a spatula to get a fritter shape. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes each side, or until browned.
- Serve on their own, or with a side of eggs!
- Don't skip the first step - soggy fritters aren't good fritters.
- Make sure the oil is heated before frying the fritters. If the oil isn't hot the fritters will absorb the majority of the oil and become soggy. No thanks!
- If you find your mixture is too runny, just pop in some more almond flour.
- Nutrition information is for 1 fritters.