Crispy Breakfast Potatoes are the side your breakfast needs ASAP! Crunchy, spicy and full of flavour, they are sure to put a delicious spin on whatever you’re serving up in the morning!
We have visited America four times in the past two years, and I’ve found it rather amazing how many culinary differences there are between us. For starters, an entree in America is not a starter. It’s their main course. So don’t be surprised when you order the chicken wings to nibble on before your meal and you get a plate that could feed a small army. And yes, this happened to us more times than I care to admit.
The cheese is… different. I don’t know exactly what it is. But it means that pizza and nachos and all the cheesy things just tastes a bit different to us. And not a better different. Kind of like something is off different. I’m sure it’s the same when American’s visit us.
The myriad of steak sauce options we see at our restaurants have not made their way onto American menus. We splurged on a fancy steak dinner during our last trip and I was presented with ketchup or barbecue sauce. End of list. I really missed my creamy mushroom!
And then there’s the potatoes they prepare for breakfast. Their hash browns are essentially shredded potato, spices and butter that is grilled. Our hash browns are deep fried, just like the one’s you get from McDonald’s. And if you find yourself in the south west, you will get breakfast potatoes. Something that until our trip to Texas was entirely foreign to me.
Breakfast potatoes are crispy and spicy and full of capsicum or bell peppers as our American friends refer to them. And once I had that first bite I was hooked on the damn things! In fact, I’ve been dreaming of them ever since. So much so I decided to recreate my own.
Fellow Aussies, allow me introduce you to breakfast potatoes. The breakfast side you never knew you were missing. You’ll never want a hash brown again!
I love to pair these crispy breakfast potatoes with my pizza-style scrambled eggs and some bacon or sausages! And they have been my absolute saviour whilst I’ve been on the Whole30, as just eggs got old real quick!
Now let’s dig in…
Crispy Breakfast Potatoes
- 2 roasting potatoes (Golden/Sebago etc) skin on & diced in medium pieces
- 1/2 red capsicum / bell pepper diced
- 1/2 green capsicum / bell pepper diced
- 1/2 brown onion diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C / 390F.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix together until well combined. Spread mixture out on baking tray covered in baking paper in a single layer.
- Place tray in oven and cook for 20 minutes, shaking the tray half way.
- Turn oven up to 220C / 428F and cook for another 10 minutes to achieve ultimate crispiness. Keep an eye here - ovens vary and you don't want to burn the potatoes!
- Serve as a side or let's be real, you can totally eat them on their own!
- Any good roasting potato will do here so feel free to use your favourites.
- Nutrition information is for one serve.