Let’s taco ’bout how delicious these healthy chicken tacos are! Think tacos can’t be healthy? Think again! And forget those store bought spice mixes once and for all!
When we were in LA we visited Carneys Restaurant (the one that’s a train car) and they had the most delicious chicken taco I’ve ever tasted. So as soon as we got home I knew I had to try to recreate it! And this recipe right here is it! It was love at first bite – and I proceeded to make chicken tacos every day for the past week. Safe to say, we love them. And I think they’ll be regularly appearing on our menu for quite some time.
These healthy chicken tacos, like last week’s Moroccan Pumpkin and Chickpea Soup, are a 15 minute weeknight wonder! Granted that includes a little multi-tasking time but it’s entirely stress free! My favourite way to assemble the tacos is to spread some mashed avocado and greek yoghurt on the tortilla, then cover with chicken, lettuce, salsa and a little cheese. SO GOOD!
You can feel free to jazz them up any way you’d like. A jar of salsa would work perfectly if you didn’t want to make your own. Some cooked corn kernels would also complement the taco nicely. You can also go nuts with the coriander / cilantro – Adam despises it so I never put it in our cooking. But it would go really nicely in the salsa or just sprinkled on top of the finished taco!
I’ve made servings for 4 here but you could easily double or triple the recipe to feed a larger crowd. Throw all the fix-ins on the table and let everyone build their own! Perfect particularly if you have some fussy eaters to please!
Healthy Chicken Tacos
For the chicken:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper more if you love heat
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the salsa:
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/2 red capsicum / bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 8 mini tortilla's heat to packet instructions
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 avocado mashed
- Shredded cheese
- Greek yoghurt
- Lime wedges
- Chopped Coriander
- Put spices, olive oil and chicken into a bowl and mix until chicken is evenly coated. Heat a frying pan on medium-high, then cook chicken in two batches (more if needed), 5-8 minutes each until the chicken is cooked through and browned.
- Mix together ingredients for salsa in a small bowl
- Arrange chicken and your choice of fix in's on tortilla and enjoy!
- Nutrition information is for 2 tacos without toppings.