This Italian Vegetable Orzo / Risoni soup is so simple, healthy and hearty! It comes together in just over 30 minutes and does not skimp on the flavour!
This Italian Vegetable Orzo / Risoni soup is delicious and easy and we’ll get to it in a second but first, let’s talk about bread! I’ve become somewhat of a bread baker over the past few weeks. I spent the first 28 years of my life never knowing the deliciousness of freshly baked bread out of an oven. That’s all changed.
I’ve suddenly found myself buying copious amounts of yeast, all the flours and setting up science experiments on our countertop every night.
I started with this 5-minute artisan bread which was white and delicious but not exactly what we would call healthy. I then graduated to this no knead multigrain bread which was also delicious. I then tried to make a sourdough starter, but evidently used a jar that was much too small because we woke up on day 3 with the starter spilled all over the counter and our house smelt so bad!
Now that I’ve perfected a basic, no-knead loaf I’d like to try and make an even healthier loaf. Plenty more experiments coming my way but if I find a winner of course I will share!
All this baking has meant I’ve had surplus bread around the house and of course, I needed to find ways to use it all up. And the easiest way – soup! I’ve made my roasted pumpkin soup and my cannellini bean soup which were both delicious vessels for dunking my bread in.
I also made up this delicious Italian Vegetable Orzo / Risoni Soup which hit the spot so well. This soup is seriously delicious. For those who are unsure, orzo and risoni are the same thing – little rice like pasta pieces. I’d call it more of a pasta/soup mashup. Maybe we could make a new category – Patsoup? Souasta? On second thoughts… maybe not!
This soup is so good it doesn’t even need a bread accompaniment, so never fear, you don’t need to become a bread baker to enjoy it!
I hope you love this Patsoup / Sousasta / Italian vegetable orzo / risoni soup / Bowl of goodness as much as I do 🙂 Bon appétit!
Italian Vegetable Orzo / Risoni Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced / 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 small carrots diced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 30 g loose baby spinach leaves I used ½ a 60g prepack
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons Italian mixed herbs I have a pre-mix that includes marjoram, basil, capsicum, rosemary, oregano, parsley, & thyme
- 1 ½ cups orzo / risoni
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese to serve
- Heat oil in a heavy pot or dutch oven on medium-high heat
- Add onion and cook, stirring regularly, until slightly browned (not burnt!)
- Add garlic, celery and carrot and cook, stirring regularly, for 3-5 minutes until slightly softened
- Add diced tomatoes, stock, orzo / risoni, beans, mixed herbs, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cover, bring to boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the risoni is completely cooked
- Add spinach, stir to combine and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until the spinach has slightly wilted
- Serve and enjoy!
- Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven