Lift your salad game with this delicious Mexican Chicken Salad. Filled to the brim with delicious ingredients, including avocado, red kidney beans and corn. One bite and you’ll be hooked!…
You may have noticed I’ve been a tad addicted to Mexican flavour of late. Ever since we came back from our trip to LA I’ve been making all sorts of Mexican inspired recipes, including these healthy chicken tacos, this quick and easy guacamole and an old favourite of ours – these chicken fajita lettuce wraps. And then of course this Mexican Chicken Salad has been on high rotation.
In our house I have to make two versions of this salad. Adam hates most salad items with a passion so he gets shredded iceberg lettuce, a diced truss tomato, some avocado, corn and chicken on top with no dressing. Who else has a fussy eater at home and can relate to this?!
I sit there eating my own delicious plate with all trimmings and wonder how on earth he is possibly enjoying his plain sad salad. But he tells me it is delicious pared back and given his fussiness I know he wouldn’t eat it if it wasn’t LOL!
This salad is yet another 15 minute weeknight wonder because let’s be real – ain’t nobody got time to spend hours in the kitchen after work. This recipe will have you on the couch and watching Netflix in no time!
If you do whip this one up, be sure to leave a comment and let me know how you enjoyed it! You can even load a photo to Instagram under the hashtag #beforeverhealthier! I just love seeing your creations!
Now let’s get to the recipe…
Mexican Chicken Salad
For the chicken
- 2 chicken breasts (skinless & boneless) sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper can sub for chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the salad
- 3 cups lettuce I use a 4 leaf blend
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1/2 cucumber sliced thinly
- red capsicum / bell pepper diced
- 100g red kidney beans if using canned, drain and rinse thoroughly
- 3/4 cup corn kernels fresh or canned
For the dressing
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp honey
- Place breast strips, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper & olive oil in a bowl and mix together thoroughly.
- Heat frying pan on medium-high and cook chicken until browned and fully cooked through.
- Place dressing ingredients in a jar and mix together thoroughly.
- Arrange salad ingredients on bowls or plates. Place chicken on top and drizzle dressing over. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition information is for one serve.