These Sheet Pan Cajun Chicken and Sweet Potato Bowls are perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Short on time to cook? Meal prep a batch to reheat throughout the week. Whole30 and Paleo friendly without sacrificing flavour.
I’m almost embarrassed to admit it’s taken me this long to discover the joy of sheet pan cooking. For years I merely used a sheet pan to roast vegetables, and either grilled or pan fried chicken to accompany it. But that’s all in the past. Because you can actually cook a WHOLE DINNER on a sheet pan! Well, two sheet pans to be precise.
May I present to you – Sheet Pan Cajun Chicken and Sweet Potato Bowls.
These bowls tick SO MANY BOXES:
- Meal Prep
The list goes on. All you need to do is prep your ingredients, space them out on a sheet pan and pop them in the oven. And the best news? Minimal clean up. That’s the real genius of the sheet pan – remove the baking paper or alfoil (your choice) and walk away.
I’m notorious for overcooking chicken when I pan fry it. No one likes dry, rubbery chicken and sadly we’ve suffered through it too many times. But this sheet pan chicken – oh boy. It’s moist and tender every time.
I made my own cajun seasoning for the chicken but if you’ve got a favourite seasoning feel free to use that instead.
Now, let’s dig in!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g chicken breast cut into small chunks
- 1 cup brocolli
- 1 avocado quarted
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp italian mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper more if you love a good kick
- salt + pepper to taste
- Brown Rice, Caulirice, Quinoa
Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
Pop chicken pieces in a bowl and add in cajun seasoning & 1 tbsp of olive oil. Mix together well and place in fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
Mix roasted sweet potato ingredients in a bowl, then tip out onto one of the trays, spreading the pieces into one layer. Place in oven for 30 minutes, or until fully cooked, stirring the pieces half way to ensure even cooking.
Once the sweet potato has been in the oven for about 15 minutes, take the chicken pieces and place on the second baking tray, spreading out into a single layer. Add broccoli to the side of the tray & drizzle over a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the tray in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked.
Remove both trays from the oven and assemble in bowls with some avocado.
- Adapted from Pinch of Yum
- All ovens are different. I’ve never met two that behaved the same. Keep an eye on your chicken from around the 10 minute mark the first time you prepare this dish to make sure it stays succulent!
- If you’d prefer a different seasoning blend, feel free to sub in. I really enjoyed this cajun blend for something different.
- Feel free to use up whatever veggies you have on hand. I’ve had this bowl with broccolini and cauliflower instead of broccoli.
Go on… Pin it for later. You know you want to.