This Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry is a 30 minute one pot wonder! It’s perfect for Meatless Monday and is Vegan and Gluten Free.
I did a poll on Instagram a few week’s back to see what types of recipes you guys wanted to see more of.
There was a resounding “YES PLEASE” for more quick dinners and one pot dishes.
So here’s one that ticks BOTH of those boxes – Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry.
It’s ready in 30 minutes and it’s all done in just one pot.
I’m a BIG fan of the sweet potato and chickpea combination. In fact, the combination has already appeared in a few recipes – my clean out the fridge Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Feta Salad and my Indian inspired Sweet Potato, Lentil and Chickpea Curry.
But this time I wanted to try a Thai inspired curry. I’ve always loved Thai flavours and Thai is generally my first choice when it comes to takeout. Gimme that Pad Thai any day. And I’ll take ANY flavour of curry you’ve got.
Though when I’m making Thai inspired dishes at home, it’s a different story. My default is ALWAYS green curry paste. Exhibit A – my Thai Green Vegetable Curry. But this time I was determined to FINALLY open that yellow curry paste jar that’s been sitting in the back of the pantry for month’s. And boy am I glad I did.
The combination of flavours work so well together and I love that I snuck a bit of greenery in there for good measure.
Serve this curry on it’s own or with rice but do yourself a favour and add crushed peanuts on top for some crunch. Seriously. It’s SO good.
Now let’s get this mid week cracker of a dinner started…
Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato peeled & diced
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1 red capsicum / bell pepper diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 cup baby spinach washed
- 400g can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 1 tsp soy sauce / tamari / coconut aminos
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp unsalted peanuts crushed
- cooked rice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potato, capsicum / bell pepper, carrot and chickpeas to the saucepan and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add coconut milk, curry paste, soy sauce and water to the saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked fully.
- Stir baby spinach through curry until wilted, then serve either on it's own or on top of rice with a sprinkle of peanuts on top.